- Attorney-at-law in Brussels since 2001 @Dutch Brussels Bar
- Scientific assistant to the program in notarial law of the Vrije Universiteit Brussel
- Chair Regional Taxes Task Force @American Chamber of Commerce in Belgium (AmCham Belgium)
- Member Legal & Taxation Committee @AmCham Belgium
- President Election Committee @Association Internationale des Jeunes Avocats – International Association of Young Lawyers (AIJA)
- National Representative Belgium @AIJA
- Scientific Work Coordinator @AIJA congress London September 2015
- Volunteer @çavaria
Katholieke Universiteit Leuven
Ecole Supérieure des Sciences Fiscales (ICHEC), Brussel
Diplôme en sciences fiscales.
University of Cambridge
Summer School in English Legal Methodes
– 2009 ,
Febelfin Academy, Brussel
Certified private banker
– 2012 ,
ILEC legal English level C1
Vrije Universiteit Brussel
Master in Notarial Law – cum laude
- 14 May 2020: Capacité et administration par rapport à une personne majeure” for BIUCGM (Belgian Interuniversity Course in Geriatric Medicine)
- 13 March 2019: Estate planning for minors and incapable persons, Brussels, FHS Seminaries
- 24 January 2019: Inheritance contracts with incapable persons, Brussels, EPSG
- 17 September 2018: Expats in Wonderland, Luxembourg, Legitech
- 31 August 2017: I Tax Robot – Automatic Exchange of Information, Tokyo, International Association of Young Lawyers (AIJA)
- 25 August 2017: Immigration to Belgium: estate planning issues, Sint-Niklaas, M&D Seminars and LegalNews.be
- 1 July 2017: Manage your firm – Become naturally a good manager!, Ljubljana, AIJA
- 9 February 2017: Bank gifts: Flemish administrative positions (Flemish tax administration) and rulings, Diegem, Kluwer
- 2 December 2016: Bank gifts: Flemish administrative positions and rulings, Sint-Niklaas, LegalNews.be
- 26 November 2015: Charity legacies, Sint-Niklaas, M&D Seminars
- 9 April 2015: Wealth protection and planning for cohabiting same sex couples, Brighton, AIJA
- 27 November 2014: Estate planning and minors, Sint-Niklaas, M&D Seminars
- 18 September 2014: Estate planning and minors, Leuven, M&D Seminars
- 20 June 2014: OC and Moderator on “Migration of settlors and beneficiaries of trusts and foundations” at the joint AIJA / IBA seminar on “Trusts and foundations in international estate planning”- “Governance and succession planning for the family business” (IBA: International Bar Association), Berlin
- 27 March 2014: Forced heirship rules in 2014, Sint-Niklaas, M&D Seminars
- 19 March 2014: Estate planning for expats, Leuven, M&D Seminars
- 8 November 2013: Immigration and the need for tax & estate planning, Gent, M&D Seminars
- 17-22 September 2013: general reporter Private Clients Commission AIJA congress Buenos Aires (Argentina) for the working session on the topic “Civil status, financial claims, parental responsibility and inheritance (tax) issues in unmarried and same sex couples”
- 4 March 2013: Recent developments in estate planning, Moerkerke, Crelan
- 13 December 2012: Anti-abuse rules in income tax and inheritance tax, Sint-Niklaas, FB-Private Wealth Law
- 12 October 2012: Charity legacies, Brussels, Rainbow Friends vzw
- (Retroactive application of a more onerous new tax law) – Wanneer is er een onwettige retroactieve toepassing van een nieuwe en strengere wet in de erfbelasting? VIP 2018, afl. 4, 42-44.
- (Return clauses if a donee passes away) Een recept voor rosé: kap de witte bij de rode wijn! Over de optionele conventionele terugkeer, VIP 2017, afl. 1, 49-51.
- (Inheritance tax on a donation with usufruct from a foreign notary) – De schenking met voorbehoud van vruchtgebruik voor buitenlandse notaris: (g)een erfbelasting na drie jaar? VIP 2016, afl. 2, 60-63.
- (Donation through debt acknowledgement) – Schenking door schuldigerkenning. Rechtsonzekerheid blijft, TFR 2012, afl. 428, 846-851, noot onder Antwerpen 18 oktober 2011. This article has also been published in The Netherlands (Fiscale Berichten voor het Notariaat – F.B.N.).
- A new exit tax in France – Un nouvel exit tax en France, Expat News, juni 2011.
- (Inheritance tax) – De regionale verschillen inzake successierechten, Private Banking Letter, januari 2009, Dexia Banque Belgique.
- (Practical guide for non-profit organisations) – Mise à jour (2007) de certaines parties du Praktijkgids voor de VZW (Kluwer – Mechelen): chapitres concernant les impôts indirects et régionaux applicables aux asbl.
- (Data protection) Mag een ziekenfonds de gezondheidsgegevens die het verwerkt zomaar gebruiken voor gerichte informatieve ledencommunicatie?, T.Gez. 2003-04, afl. 5, 292-302.
HOW IT STARTED
After obtaining my law degree, I started my traineeship at the bar. I dealt with various legal issues and assisted clients in various types of procedures including commercial, contractual and tax disputes. This general background gives me valuable skills for my private client work today.
In these matters, I learned that tax issues have an important influence on business decisions. The interaction between private matters and tax is even more complex: personal motifs are often much more important. Therefore, I wanted to obtain a tax degree at the “Ecole Supérieure des Sciences Fiscales” in Brussels.
Once I had completed this, I joined the Wealth Analysis & Planning department of a major Belgian bank. My principal task was twofold: on the one hand, I answered questions from clients regarding estate planning, marriage contracts, wills, registration and inheritance tax, income taxes, family companies etc… On the other hand, I gave presentations for selected groups of clients within the bank’s own network.
On these topics, I also gave training to the bank’s commercial employees.
Thanks to a close cooperation with private bankers and my training as a certified private banker, I also gained insight into the financial aspects of estate planning. This also gave me valuable skills for my work today.
The call to return to the bar proved to be too strong. I joined the private clients practice of an international law firm in Brussels (Loyens & Loeff) where I advised on Belgian tax for international private clients. End 2012, I started my own law firm, FB-Private Wealth Law.
In October 2016, I started an LLM in notarial studies at the Vrije Universiteit Brussel (VUB).
RT @PeterCallens: Grondwettelijk Hof herhaalt vandaag dat beroepsgeheim van de advocaat essentieel is voor bescherming van privéleven en re…5 days ago
RT @lucdhont118: Pakistan - Sales Tax - Electronic/Video monitoring of production of specified goods. Big Brother is being intrduced in the…6 days ago
In hetzelfde voorontwerp van Vlaams Decreet over de schenkingen en legaten aan goede doelen en de vriendenerfenis,… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…1 week ago